Thursday, July 26, 2007

Nasty Beef

Who that eatin my nasty corn?
NASTY BEEF!
Who that sippin my nasty jus?
NASTY BEEF!
NAAASTYYYYYYY UHH!

My first entry is devoted to Chinese style beef brisket, or what I like to call Nasty Beef. "Why it call Nasty Beef?" you might ask? Cause the beef look BAAAD, it comes complete with mean chunks of fat, tendon, gristle, and other random parts. However, these parts usually hold the key to good flavor. In fact the badder the beef look the better it usually tastes. Me and my friend figured that beef brisket noodle soup was a pretty good litmus test for all the Chinese spots down here, cause the quality of the noodle soup was usually proportional to the quality of the rest of their menu. So where the best Nasty Beef in the ID do you aaaask? The search don't stop but for now I can suggest these spots:

1. Congee Noodle Rice - I'm pretty sure this isn't the actual name of the restaurant but that's what they got in bright neon on their window. It's situated across the bum park with the star trek toilet machine next to Ambrosia, the bubble tea shop. This has been my steady spot for Nasty Beef noodle soup for the past 5 or 6 months. They have a construct your own noodle soup menu where you can choose your noodle (about different 5 kinds) as well as a broad selection of meats dumplings and veggies, and yes, they got beef brisket, nice gelatinous fatty and flavorful. Soup broth is clean and pronounced, provides a nice base for the noodles and toppings to swim in. And the best part - it's SUPER cheap! Good shit...

... so actually, it's been awhile since I been to any other spots so I can't really accurately comment on them although since I last remembered...

2. Mike's Noodle House - Who Mike anyway? I suspect it's the tall skinny guy who's constantly walking in and out of the restaurant with supplies and shit. Super Gwai Lo name for a pretty good joint. Beef brisket noodle soup is good n' NAAASTY, although the last few times I went it gave me the re-runs, maybe a little too nasty for my beefy self...

3. Sea Garden - Nice soup, BAD (as in good) beef brisket, nice noodle. And good seafood fresh in live tanks if you got da cash.

as for the five spice version of beef noodle soup:

4. Szechuan Noodle House- Nice and cheap

5. Shanghai Garden - I call this place Chinese Food For White People cause it's like the only Chinese place in the ID that I see white people at (I jest I jest, you know I got love for my lighter brothers and sisters) but I admit they got good beef and hand-shaved noodles a specialty but expensive compared to neighboring restaurants. That doesn't seem to deter customers however cause this place is PACKED like every night. Do they que for the deepfried beef/chicken/pork/shrimp/tofu in cranberry/strawberry sauce? It's like the ID's KFC - Kitchen Fried Chinese food.

Okay I rests my cases.

No comments: